Consultancy Services to Carry Out Technical, Financial and Human Resource Audit and Inspection of Water Service Providers.
The technical audit/inspection is pursuant to the requirements of the Water Act, 2002 section 47 Part (e) which provides for WASREB to monitor and regulate licensees and to enforce licence conditions. Specifically, clause 10.2(1) of the licence grants WASREB the mandate to conduct or arrange for independent technical audits or inspections of the licensee and the WSP as required.
The general objectives of the consultancy were to:-
- Monitor performance of the Water Service Providers;
Assess compliance to the set regulatory tools that include licenses, standards and guidelines. The scope of the assignment included carrying out an audit and inspection of the following areas:-
- Board of Directors previous Inspection, Tariff Status, Tariff Applied, Compliance with the Tariff Conditions, Statutory Payments/Receipts, Human Resource, Collection efficiency, Billing, O&M Cost Coverage, Complaints Register, Water Kiosks, Service Hours, Water Quality, Non- Revenue Water, Metering Ratio, Water Coverage, Sanitation, Pro-poor strategy, &
The Inspection approach involved included:-
- Examination of sampled records and documents at the WSP;
- Interviews with the key personnel of the WSP;
- Interviews with selected customers;
- Field visits to inspect
The WSPs that were audited and inspected were:-
- Busia, Mombasa, Thika, Kisumu, Kakamega, Othaya Mukurweini, Gusii, Kahuti, Nyahururu, Kwale, Sibo, Isiolo, Oloolaiser, Amatsi, Naivasha and Nakuru
(Completed June 2018)